Wednesday, October 12, 2005

A new leaf... for now


I knew the waistband of my jeans was getting a bit tighter but I didn't know how bad things had gotten until one of the Fellows kindly asked if I was feeling unwell. I took a look in the mirror and she's right: in my zeal for tasting everything that crosses my path I have become puffy and spotty with dark circles under my eyes. So time to ease up on the coffee, pass on the chilli-cheese fries and slow down on the wine discoveries. For now, anyway. No more late nights studying either... does it matter that I get 98 out of 100 for my French exam? Do I really need to read everything about the evolution of democracy in Japan if I'm not writing a mid-term paper?

Got a great long weekend planned as there are no Monday or Tuesday classes due to Fall Break. We're driving north - all the way this time. Up to the Upper Peninsula (or the U.P., as the residents or "Yoopers" call it). About as far north as you can go, right up to Lake Superior and Canada. A vast frontier with lots of trees in the peak of autumnal splendour and spectacular scenery, and possibly snow. Farther north than Montreal, and nearly as far from Detroit as New York City. Where the eccentric locals of Finnish descent say "ja" and "da", and are the butt of jokes by the "down-staters". We'll also see lots of grandiose Victorian mansions from the heyday era of copper and iron mines.

"Say ya to da U.P., 'eh?"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You mean you ate something that looks like this?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...